June 28, 2012
The Snarky Voice in Your Head
Via Alan Henry at Lifehacker:
There's a difference between being occasionally sarcastic and a little derisive in your head, but when negativity becomes your default reaction, you have a problem. You may have had a wake-up moment, much like Anna Holmes, founding editor of Jezebel, had when she realized she was sneering at someone for no reason other than that the person was happy. Here's what she said:
Just rolled my eyes at a woman skipping happily across 42nd Street. Then I realized I'M the asshole.
— Anna Holmes (@AnnaHolmes) May 31, 2012
How about a quick check. Do you:
- Roll your eyes at every "hipster" who, by most accounts, is just a person trying (successfully or not) to dress fashionably?
- Primarily complain about how horrible people/things are on Facebook/Twitter?
- Get angrier every passing moment that you stand in line at the grocery store, or have to wait for your check to arrive at a restaurant?
- Find you're constantly frustrated with coworkers who don't "get it?"
- Comment angrily on blogs, videos, and other web sites (usually beginning with "ummm" and ending with "just saying?")
- Feel like it's okay to be a complete jerk, as long as you're "witty" about it?
Sounding familiar? You may have a problem.
Posted by Zujaja Tauqeer at 06:48 AM | Permalink